Provinces and territories can also recruit candidates from the Express Entry system through their Provincial Nominee Programs to meet local labour market needs. If you are invited to apply for permanent residence under Express Entry, you will benefit from fast processing times of six months or less. Express Entry ensures that candidates who are most likely to succeed economically – not simply those first in line – are able to immigrate to Canada.
How Express Entry works
Potential candidates create an online Express Entry profile
To express your interest in coming to Canada as a skilled foreign worker:
1. Take a language test in English and/or French. If you were educated outside of Canada, you may also need to have your education assessed against Canadian standards. Learn more about language and education assessments.
2. Create an online Express Entry profile and tell us about your skills, work experience, language ability, education and other details.
3. If you meet the criteria of one of the federal economic immigration programs under Express Entry, you will be placed in a pool of pre-screened candidates. If you have a valid job offer, you can get additional points. If you are in the Express Entry pool, you can start your job search by creating a Job Match account with Job Bank. If you don’t have a job when you come to Canada, you can continue using Job Bank to find a job.
Express Entry pool
You will be given a score to determine your place in the Express Entry pool using a Comprehensive Ranking System. This system includes factors known to contribute to economic success (such as language, education and work experience). There are regular rounds of invitations to apply for permanent residence sent to candidates in the Express Entry pool. Candidates with the highest scores will be invited to apply. Your profile in the Express Entry pool will be valid for 12 months. During that time, you will need to update your profile if anything changes, such as your level of education or language test results. Filling out an online Express Entry profile is not a guarantee that you will qualify for permanent residence. If you are invited to apply for permanent residence, the details in your Express Entry profile will be verified at that time.
Selected candidates are invited to apply for permanent residence online
You will be invited to apply for permanent residence if you:
• have been nominated by a province or territory or
• are among the top ranked in the pool based on your skills and experience
We will process the majority of complete permanent residence applications within six months or less. If you are in the Express Entry pool and are not invited to apply for permanent residence after 12 months, you can re-submit your profile and re-enter the pool if you still meet the criteria.
Migration to Australia
If you live overseas and you’d like the opportunity to live and work in Australia, the first step is to find out more about the visa options that are available to you.
If you have a successful business overseas, You can be nominated by a state or territory government to establish or manage a business or invest in Australia.
Buying real estate in Australia - a guide for non residents
A brief outline of Australia's foreign investment policy in relation to residential real estate.
Family members or partners
As an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or and eligible New Zealand citizen, you may be able to sponsor your family to live in Australia.
Life in australia booklet- external site
Provides information about Australian history, culture, society and the values we share to help you understand the values statement before you sign. Multicultural language booklets are also available.
Refugee and humanitarian programme
Provides information about Australia's refugee and humanitarian programme, including offshore resettlement, onshore protection, ImmiCards and more.
Settle in Australia
Information to assist migrants and refugees and humanitarian entrants settling into Australia. Includes places you can contact for help with settlement and practical information for your life in Australia including health, housing, transport and work.